I-35W

Pretty darn amazing.



On August 1, 2007 an important interstate highway bridge that I drove over daily for years collapsed in Minneapolis.



On November 1, 2007 construction of the replacement bridge began.

At 4AM on September 18, 2008 the new bridge opened to traffic, and Minneapolis has one of its major arteries back.



Just 414 days from collapse to renewed traffic flow. Well done MNDOT!

Steve Says: Yes, I thought the same after seeing a report on the Lehrer News Hour. Very impressive, and under budget! By the way, a researcher I know back in Minnesota had his lab right under that bridge. I remember him complaining long ago about how annoying it was that paint and debris would rain down on his building from the bridge. Fortunately, he and his team weren't hurt in the collapse. I'm not sure what he's done about his lab.

0 comments: