Legalize It!

Or decriminalize it. There is a reefer-endum on the Massachusetts ballot this November, called 'Question 2':

This proposed law would replace the criminal penalties for possession of one ounce or less of marijuana with a new system of civil penalties, to be enforced by issuing citations, and would exclude information regarding this civil offense from the state's criminal record information system. Offenders age 18 or older would be subject to forfeiture of the marijuana plus a civil penalty of $100. Offenders under the age of 18 would be subject to the same forfeiture and, if they complete a drug awareness program within one year of the offense, the same $100 penalty.


This seems pretty sensible to me. Let's face it, the "War on Drugs" has been a colossal failure. I don't see why we are locking people up for smoking some pot. If an adult wants to do that, it's not any of my business, is it? Laws against public use, public intoxication, DUI, sales and manufacture aren't being removed.

Is holding an ounce of pot severe enough a crime to ruin someone's life over? I don't think so. It seems pretty much like a victimless crime to me. The serious crimes related to drugs seem more to be a result of their illegality.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I think that it's past time to try some new drug strategy. So I'm likely to vote 'Yes' on question 2.

I'll see what my wife thinks though. Mine is the only vote in the family.

0 comments: