Gay Marriage

A pro-gay marriage ruling today in Connecticut:

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Connecticut's Supreme Court ruled Friday that gay couples have the right to marry, making the state the third behind Massachusetts and California to legalize such unions through the courts.

The ruling comes just weeks before Californians go to the polls on a historic gay-marriage ballot question, the first time the issue will be put before voters.


I'm still waiting for opponents of gay marriage to explain what bugs them about this. I don't see how it affects me or my marriage if lesbians and gays get married. Same-sex couples can already adopt kids in certain states (such as mine). Many employers (such as mine) already extend benefits to same-sex partners. What's the big deal? I haven't noticed any ill effects.

The "slippery-slope to polygamy" argument seems like quite a stretch to me.

Sure, some are offended because marriage is most often a religious rite as well as a civil agreement. Fine, let's have government issue "licenses of civil marriage," and keep a healthy separation of church and state.

It's clear to me that it's only a matter of time before gays and lesbians have the right to marry in the US. That's the way the wind is blowing. Nearly all misgivings about it will be gone in the upcoming generation. I think there is something to having the majority of people accept this willingly rather than having it pushed on them by a relative handful of low-level judges. But I can't fault gays and lesbians for wanting and fighting for it now; you only live once.

In any case, I support gay marriage and would vote against any propositions seeking to ban it.

0 comments: