The McCain Lawnsign In Los Angeles Experiment

I put up a McCain lawn sign about 3-4 weeks ago, mostly to see if it would get trashed. Here are the final results:
  • Pushed down: 11 times (3 times by my six-year-old nephew who "was using it as a flag")
  • Completely disappeared: 1 time (that's why I bought 3 of them)
  • This morning:
    • Found both remaining signs picked up and pushed over
    • Found dog poo smeared on walkway to the house
    • Found a bag of dog poo left on top of our 1965 Corvette
As a side note, the 4th grader we carpool with is heavily brainwashed against Republicans. When he found out I was one, he was a bit shocked, immediately asked about the gay rights proposition, when I told him I was voting the "correct" way, he was shocked again: "But you're a republican!" I gently chewed him out about the ignorant view liberals have of Republicans.

He said when I told him I was supporting McCain: But isn't he a big liar?

"So is Obama," says I. "All politicians lie. They do it to get elected, then do what they really want once they get in. That's why you don't listen to politicians, but look at their record. Words are easy, votes are hard."

I also told him I didn't understand why any Jewish person would vote for Obama. Since they had obviously discussed the election at his temple, he was surprised again. I told him that Obama has spent his life in the company of people who are strongly anti-Israel and who want to see the Palestinians get Israel. If you supported Israel, I said, would you hang out with people like that?

If I made him think for a couple minutes, my job was done.

0 comments: