Pity Kids Today

Strange, the entire Three Investigators series of books is out of print. I loved these when I was around my nephew's age. I'm glad to see some of Jack Kjelgaard's books are still around, though not all. Not this memorable one, Fire-Hunter, for example.

It's interesting how few children's books remain popular. What is it about these books that makes them uninteresting to kids today? What's in the latest books that makes them more modern? I guess I'll know in a few years, when my kid is older.

Ann says: My niece is too young for you to have figured this out, but the truth is that the current crop of books is really badly written. Short sentences, slang, easy words, no complexity, etc. I read a lot of kid lit, and every time I pick up an older book, it's like a breath of fresh air.

0 comments: