Daddy's Little Girl

My wife Jui and I went to the pediatrician's office today to get our daughter Shivani's ears pierced. Shivani is seven months old. Like my wife, practically all little girls in India get their ears pierced, so it sounded like a good idea. I was pretty nervous though.

In the waiting room, Shivani was looking up me and smiling. She looked so trusting!

In the exam room, when the nurses held her down and marked her ears with ink, Shivani started wailing. When they were done marking, and Shivani started to calm down, it was clear to everyone that I was having second thoughts. The nurses gave my wife and me a minute alone to discuss it. In the end, we decided not to go through with it. Thanks to Jui for being so understanding.



I don't want my little girl to suffer, even something as minor as ear piercing. She can get it done later, if she wants. Besides, wouldn't giving her earrings be gilding the lily?

0 comments: