Brilliant

I didn't realize NYTimes columnist David Brooks could be funny.

I loved his column today. It is a slam at the empty platitudes of all politicians (and the reason I can't stand to listen to any of them open their mouths), and he is particularly good at skewering Obama:
[ David Brooks ] My fellow Americans, it is an honor to address the Democratic National Convention at this defining moment in history. We stand at a crossroads at a pivot point, near a fork in the road on the edge of a precipice in the midst of the most consequential election since last year’s “American Idol.”

[...] As a child, I was abandoned by my parents and lived with a colony of ants. We didn’t have much in the way of material possession, but we did have each other and the ability to carry far more than our own body weights. When I was young, I was temporarily paralyzed in a horrible anteater accident, but I never gave up my dream: the dream of speaking at a national political convention so my speech could be talked over by Wolf Blitzer and a gang of pundits.
Read it all. It's good.

0 comments: