- 1 large onion
- 1/2 large green pepper
- 1 12oz pack MorningStar Farms Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles (not the sausage flavored ones)
- 1 14.5oz can basil-garlic-oregano diced tomatoes
- 1 8oz can basil-garlic-oregano tomato sauce
- 2C macaroni elbows, uncooked
- 2C water
- 1t Italian seasoning, plus salt and black pepper
- Chop onion medium-fine, fry in 4 quart saucepan with a few tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat.
- Dice green pepper and add to cooking onions. Cook until onions are translucent. Green pepper will probably not be fully cooked.
- Poke hole in bag, and defrost meat substitute for a couple minutes in microwave.
- Add meat substitute, and other ingredients except seasoning to pot. Include the juice with the tomatoes. Mix well. Simmer until macaroni is cooked and absorbs the water. About 20+ minutes.
- When nearly done, add seasoning and salt and black pepper to taste.
I made this recipe up after reading several meat-based versions online. The ingredient amounts in those recipes were all over the place, with a majority calling for condensed tomato soup and very little herbs and flavorings. My version turned out pretty well (almost as good as mom's!), and even my three year old enjoyed it. It tastes like the classic hot dish would taste if made with lean beef and an eye for some flavor. I sprinkle some red pepper flakes on my serving for some added bite. Serve with traditional microwaved frozen peas!