Poor Old Microsoft

Someone posted a question to a Microsoft user's group. Is it possible in Hotmail to seach for and display just the mail you haven't read? The answer from Microsoft:

no, it isn't possible. You have to wade through all of your inbox and look for the unread mail "manually."

It's just one issue, but it's difficult to overstate just how lame this is. Despite a major recent makeover by the "Product Development Team," Hotmail lacks this basic functionality. I can't even imagine what their group meetings must be like. What the h*ll do they talk about? Hotmail is, in so many ways, grossly inferior to alternatives like gmail. I only still use hotmail because changing now would be a pain; I would have to go to all the sites where my hotmail address is registered and change them.

I remember that, back in the olden days, I used to root for Microsoft. They were the agile underdog, and IBM was the behemoth with a stranglehold on the computing industry. How did Microsoft get so sedentary so fast? How long before Google follows the same path? I bet it will take even less time.

Update: They added an "unread filter" functionality.

0 comments: