24 is Back

I started watching 24 two seasons ago. I don't know how I got hooked, but I thought it was quite good at first. I quickly became disappointed; by the end of last season I had pretty much had enough. Then there were reports of 24 getting a make-over for the current season, including a kinder gentler Jack Bauer.
As the hero of the television action series, Bauer became a modern icon of rugged American values and a fictional flag waver for the Bush administration's determination to defeat terrorists.

The intelligence agent, played by Keifer Sutherland, has never been afraid to torture or shoot to kill while tackling villainous foreigners intent on waging war on the American homeland.

But now US conservatives are up in arms that the election of President-Elect Barack Obama has led the show's producers to pander to the liberal consensus in Hollywood, which they claim has led to the blacklisting of those who disagree with their anti-war views.

When the series returns for its seventh season on Sunday night, Bauer will mouth the views of Mr Obama, who has vowed to end "enhanced interrogation", also known as torture, and close the Guantanamo Bay detention camp.
Well, I'm happy to report that these concerns were unwarranted. I watched two hours of 24 on Sunday, and another 2 yesterday. The show is good again! Who'd of thunk it.

The ratings for the first episodes were disappointing. I wonder if the fan base tuned out because of those makeover reports. There is also strong competition from "Two and a Half Men," one of the few current shows I enjoy. It's tough out there in TV land.

0 comments: