Awlaki

Anwar al-Awlaki has been taken out in Yemen. I'm not crying about it, that's for sure, but most of his "terror ties" seem pretty lame. The NYTimes lays them out:

  1. Mr. Awlaki is suspected of helping plan the plot...
  2. ...she stabbed a member of Parliament after listening to more than 100 hours of Mr. Awlaki's speeches...
  3. ...told investigators that he was inspired by Mr. Awlaki...
  4. Mr. Awlaki said that he taught and corresponded with Umar Farouk Abdul mutallab,...
  5. ...Fort Hood in Texas, had been investigated by the F.B.I. before the attack in connection with e-mails he exchanged with Mr. Awlaki...
  6. ... said they were inspired by Mr. Awlaki's lectures...


I can't be alone in thinking this is pretty weak stuff. Is this really enough justification for the President to order an assassination of a US citizen? I don't think listening to his recordings on the net or reading his writings on the net is much of a terror connection. The correspondence with the Fort Hood shooter must not have been incriminating, or more action would have been taken with regard to Maj Hasan. What does "taught and corresponded" mean? Taught what? Corresponded about what?

The claim that he helped plan a bomb plot is more serious. I would like to see more information about this. For the first time I know of, I think that Glenn Greenwald has a point, writing more than a year ago.

Note also Gary Johnson's position. I wish Mr Johnson were getting more traction.

0 comments: