Glendale CA Tea Party

I went to the Tea Party in Glendale California yesterday. Observations:

  • I don't know how to estimate crowds very well, but I would guess it was at least 150-200 people.

  • Almost every sign was homemade. I saw about 2 from the Taxpayers Alliance, but the rest were made by hand, many on the back of bankers-box lids.

  • There were very few people under 40 at the rally. Perhaps only people who have been in the workforce, have worked hard to acquire a comfortable life--and people with mortgages and kids of college or near-college age--really understand what is at stake. Average age was at least 45.

  • The rally was short on speeches and was mostly people milling around.

  • One local assemblyman had the guts to show up. It was before I got there, but I would have booed him off the stage. No other politicians or parties were represented.

  • Someone should have had an e-mail sign-in sheet to gather names and e-mails. I guess that's what the Twitter site is for these days. Still, an e-mail list is important.

  • Southern California didn't have one large demo. Instead there were smaller pockets of demos all over the place. Yesterday, just in the LA area there were demos in: Glendale, Van Nuys, Burbank (in front of the Republican state office), the Reagan Museum, possibly a second one in Yorba Linda, Rancho Cucamunga, Santa Monica, etc. That made it hard to get a pic of one big crowd.

  • Local media was there and covered the event.

  • A camera and reporter from ReasonTV were there, so something might show up on their website.

Did I say pic? Here's a link to the image gallery I made of the event.







0 comments: